Refractive Lens Exchange
Refractive lens exchange (RLE) is a type of eye surgery used to treat multiple eye conditions such as myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism . In cataract the cloudy lens is removed, where as in RLE a clear lens that is causing eye-sight impediment is removed. This surgery is a boon for people who do not qualify for Laser LASIK eye procedures. Over 85% patients were able to get a clear eye-sight without eye-glasses or contact lenses.
Book an appointment now for RLE.
Are you a candidate for RLE?
Not qualifying for laser eye surgery? You should give RLE a try. Meeting the following conditions, qualifies you for RLE
- You have myopia or hyperopia.
- You have presbyopia but do not want to wear reading glasses.
- You are over the age of 40.
- You do not have fully developed cataract in your eyes.
- You need vision correction but do not want glasses or contact lenses.
- You do not qualify for LASIK, PRK or phakic intraocular lens surge
Risks of RLE
Any eye surgery has risks associated with it. Though rare, but they exist. We stress on the fact that RLE is safe and our patrons have responded well to RLE and are good now. Some prominent risks are as follows:
- Seeing glare or halos
- Dislocated intraocular lens
- Eye infection
- Retinal detachment
- Blurry vision
- Increased eye pressure
Types of Refractive Lens Exchange
The clarity of your eye-sight highly depends on the lenses that you wear within you eyes. Depending on the kind of correction that you are getting done, you have to make a choice between one of the following types of lens. Each type may further have a variety of brands and cost that allows you to make the best for your eyes. These lenses are also known as intraocular len (IOsL) implants. Here, you shall notice that there is a significant similarity with the Cataract removal procedure.
These lenses are typically set for a distance. People generally opt for distant eye-sight and use reading glasses for near and closer ranges. This is the most popular choice.
Bifocal lenses are set to distant and near vision as per the prescription set for you. These lenses are correct for near and distant eye-sight at the same time.
These lenses allows you to correct multiple eye-sight distances at the same time. The ranges typically is set to near, middle and far ranges.
Book an appointment now.
Preparation and recovery in RLE
Prior to the RLE surgery, the doctors advice dos and don’t to ensure that the surgery is performed smoothly. These advices may vary from person to person. A few generic suggestions by the doctors are shown below for ready reference:
- The doctors may advise you to stop taking certain medications.
- Usage of antibiotic eye drops ahead of time.
- Food ahead of your surgery.
- Do arrange for someone to drive you home.
- Don’t let soap or water get into your eyes.
- Use eye drops as directed to prevent infection.
- Wear an eye patch or protective shield.
- Follow your doctor’s orders on hitting the gym again.